Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hey, Kirk Can't Drive a Stick Shift!

Via my friend Otis Frampton, for my friend Mike Lynch:

The audio is from the trailer of the new Star Trek movie (a.k.a., Starfleet 90210) coming out next May. The video . . . might look familiar if you're a Trekkie of a certain age.

I don't expect anyone else to give a hoot.

Edited to Add: Several hours after posting the above, I read that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's widow, Majel Barrett Roddenberry, died today. While her husband was the creative engine of my favorite TV program, the roles she played--from the Enterprise's first officer Number One in the original pilot (Gene gave that job to Spock after the studio told him no one would ever believe a woman as second in command), to Nurse Christine Chapel, to Counselor Troi's mother Lwaxana in The Next Generation, to the computer voice in pretty much every Star Trek incarnation including the forthcoming movie--made her an important part of that universe as well.

Obviously my silly little post is completely unfit to serve as a memorial--except, maybe, in the fact that 43 years after Star Trek began, people like me are still thinking about it, talking about it, arguing about new versions of it, and even making affectionate fun of it. That's a good legacy to be a part of, I think.

5 comments:

Lincoln Berry III said...

bwaaaaaa hahahahaha!!!!

i have the entire as on vhs and watch it to this day!

Mike Lynch said...

My sincere thanks for the shout out. I hadn't seen this clip. Expertly done! I'm so glad I don't have the knowledge as to how to edit video otherwise all my time would be wasted doing mash ups.

Sad news about Majel Barrett. I didn't know she was ill. I'm always jarred by her cameos in a couple of 1960s movies WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER and A GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN. As soon as she speaks, I know that voice! But I get confused, with her being all out of context, as to who she is! All those years of her TREK computer voicing echoing in my brain ....

I wonder who's playing Number One in the new TREK movie?

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Oh, that's funny.
For part of my brain, the cartoon mashup rings truer than the real trailer- as I "know" what the Star Trek are supposed to look like.

ronnie said...

I never cease to be amazed at the creativity and technical quality of some of these mash-ups. It just goes to show that a million monkeys with a million typewriters turn out some pretty good work sometimes.

Hugo Fuchs said...

Kudos to you ... I also hadn't caught that "unofficial" trailer.