My wife Karen had one birthday gift request for me: she wanted a hard copy of my webcomic "The Last Mechanical Monster." She'd only read it in installments online, and wanted to sit down and enjoy it all together. What she had in mind was a print-out of the pages, maybe slipped into a little binder or report cover.
I ran with it.
|First I printed all the pages on good heavy paper, the type you'd use for a resume. I wanted to print on both sides without any bleed-through.|
|I cut, scored and folded a piece of thick matte board to be the guts of the cover.|
|Flipped the cover over to glue down the fabric and apply the end papers, which are the light blue images of flying robots I used as a background for the webcomic.|
|Last step: Drew a jaunty flying robot on the cover. Wrapped it up and gave it to Karen.|
She sat right down and started reading the book last night, so I guess it's a success.
I know I didn't hew too closely to traditional bookbinding methods. A lot of this was "look at five things on the Internet and combine them into something that seems like it'll work." But I'm really happy with the result. It was fun! And it looks like a real book!
I could see getting addicted to a cool craft like this. I'm looking forward to trying it again sometime.