Sunday, March 31, 2019

An Evening With Brian Fies?!


I had a tremendous time last night talking at the Cartoon Art Museum (CAM) in San Francisco, which everyone should visit often.

I had no idea who would show up for "An Evening With Brian Fies." Turns out about 20 folks, including comics greats Trina Robbins and Steve Leialoha; cartoonist, professor, and my friend Nick Sousanis; Association of American Editorial Cartoonist stalwart Scott Burns; and the person who animated my Fire Story webcomic for KQED and won us both Emmy Awards, Farrin Abbott.

Looking over the notebook in which I drew the original Fire Story webcomic, which I don't usually bring along but CAM seemed the right time and place do it. I signed all those books on the table, and more. CAM seemed to think they'd sell them sooner or later.

With the AAEC's Scott Burns.

Nick Sousanis took time out from drawing his next mind-blowing super-intelligent comic to spend an evening with me. He also impressed my daughters, to whom he talked for quite a while without knowing they were related to me, which I thought was great. He's a natural teacher.

Everyone in this photo has an Inkpot Award from Comic Con International. I'd never met Steve Leialoha and Trina Robbins before but admired both for decades. Both have done standout work in comics and it meant a LOT to me that they came. I'm more stunned than I may appear.

Everyone in this photo has an Emmy Award. I was so happy to see Farrin Abbott again. Last time, we were both wearing tuxedos.

My daughters Laura and Robin were there. CAM's Summerlea Kashar treated us to dinner. Curator Andrew Farago graciously introduced me and came with his wife, cartoonist Shaenon K. Garrity, and their son Robin (who enjoyed meeting my Robin). CAM's Nina Taylor Kester cracked the door open for me (that's a private joke) and made me feel at home. The audience was not necessarily huge in quantity, but Wow what QUALITY!

Andrew Farago introduced me. In the foreground, Nina Taylor Kester livestreamed it on Facebook.

CAM is a great institution and it's a career highlight to have my work on display there. Visit!

No comments: