Monday, March 11, 2019

We Have Lift-Off


A whirlwind weekend! Saturday night: a spectacular book launch at the Charles M. Schulz Museum. More than 200 people showed up, overflowing the museum's little auditorium and packing the Education Room upstairs, where my talk was simulcast. So many friends, covering every stage of my life: high school, early jobs, cartoonists, new and old neighbors! My family came, including my daughter Robin, who I didn't think would be able to make it and surprised me.
Local independent bookseller Copperfield's brought about 75 copies of A Fire Story and sold out. They also carried Mom's Cancer and Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow, which I really appreciated, so I signed a few of those. Other people brought books they'd bought elsewhere. I signed my custom bookplates for people who couldn't get a book but promised they would later.
I spoke for about half an hour, then signed books for more than an hour. Best part was introducing several of the people who appear in the book, who had seats of honor up front. I asked for a show of hands of people who'd lost their homes, then those who had close friends or relatives who'd lost their homes; nearly every hand was raised. It was a hometown crowd of people who'd been through an extraordinary disaster together, very powerful. We cried, we laughed, we cried some more.

People lined up to buy books from Copperfield's before my talk began.

Possibly the coolest I've ever looked in any photo in my life.

Nice view from about halfway back in the auditorium. Photo from Raina, thanks!

Some of the folks in the Schulz Museum's auditorium. The hall filled to standing room only. I see many good friends in this photo!

The line for my book signing in the museum's Great Hall after the talk. I'm sitting off screen to the lower left. The Schulz Museum provided a very nice snack spread for folks to nibble on while they waited. The museum really went all out for this--after-hours, snacks, staff and volunteers on duty. I'm touched.

Man at work.

So cool to have Raina Telegemeier and her father Denis at the launch. I've known Raina since before Smile, and her dad has become a real friend as well. They had to drive a ways to get here; it meant a lot to me.

With Cartoonist Maia Kobabe, whose graphic novel Gender Queer comes out in May. I'm looking forward to it, I know it'll be good!

Sunday was mellower: a signing at Book Passage, one of the Bay Area's great bookstores, in Corte Madera, Calif. About two dozen people, only a few of whom had direct experience with the fire, with a very different energy, but it was really nice. I like talking to smaller groups (and I've talked to much smaller, like groups of two or three). You can have a conversation.

Heading into Book Passage on Sunday afternoon.

Book Passage set up a nice display at the entrance. Notice the book standing on the counter by the register, and the giant cover on the back wall!

A nice-sized crowd of nice people--including one fan who gave me an amazing gift that knocked my socks off. But that's a topic for a future post.

Two different experiences, both great, that gave my book a spectacular launch. But I've got to say, my night at the Schulz Museum was a special once-in-a-lifetime thrill. Thanks to Jessica Ruskin, Karen Johnson, and Jeannie Schulz for making that happen.
Photos from many sources, including my daughter Laura and sister-in-law Cathy. Thanks again to everybody who helped make this weekend so special!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omigosh! Maia was there? How could I have missed her? Oh, cool seeing you again, too Brian...

What a great event!