Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Think I Miss the Tides Most of All

Has it really been exactly 10 years since a nuclear waste dump exploded on the Moon, launching it and the few hardy souls stationed on Moonbase Alpha into interstellar space? I sure miss seeing a silver sliver of crescent Moon dancing in the western dusk or a fat full Moon rising orange in the east. Why, it seems like it was just yesterday....




Space: 1999. Cool idea. Dumb show. A few bright moments smothered in wasted potential. Also one vision of the World of Tomorrow that I'm really glad didn't come true. But it had great production values and effects for the time, and I think the Eagle (one of which is seen spinning about 14 seconds into the clip above) is the second-best fictional spacecraft ever designed.

Anyway, in loving memory to our missing satellite, gone from our orbit since September 13, 1999, please enjoy this tribute:




You're welcome.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved how you wrote the post, because you combine reality ("ten years ago," missing the moon, it effects) and fantasy to point out the series. (The last YouTube clip was...interesting!) I'll post again that what I enjoyed most about the series was the music and Barry Morse. Thank you for sharing, Brian!

Brian Fies said...

Thanks, Celesta! Agreed on the music and Barry Morse. I'm surprised at the response this post got over on my Facebook page. Space: 1999 had more fans--or at least viewers--than I expected.

Xtreme English said...

this is an Orson Welles kinda thing, right?