Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Review: The Library Journal

WHTTWOT got a pretty good review today in The Library Journal, which is important because many librarians look to that trade journal's recommendations when deciding what to buy. Some words from the review chosen completely at random include: "futurism,"
"the," "compellingly," "zeitgeist," "in-jokes," "wisely," "wide-eyed," "overearnest," and "didactic" (sigh).

Reviewer Steve Raiteri's final verdict: "Thought-provoking, this is recommended for fans of Jim Ottaviani's science graphic novels or Larry Gonick's Cartoon History books." I'm pleased to be in that company.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the good review, Brian.

(I wish there were also options to like, or fav, a post on here. I would fav many on this journal.)

Sherwood Harrington said...

Another notch on the handle of your phaser, cap'n.

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel that use of the word "didactic" is, in and of itself, didactic?

ronnie said...

A very good review in my opinion - although I can understand why a reappearance of "the d-word" would be annoying. Interestingly, I am not sure if it would be seen as "overearnest", were we not globally in such a deeply cynical phase. The final verdict says as much, I think - you're in some good company there.

Mike said...

Speaking of didactic, I thought that extensive introduction on the topic of graphic novels should have been a footnote for the three librarians in America who hadn't heard of them.

Good review in an important journal, though, if you can wade through all that!