Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Sentimental, I Know

We've got a local radio station that will broadcast Christmas songs non-stop between now and December 25. I guess they're angling for that lucrative "playing quietly in the background while people shop at the strip mall" market.

Since my slice of Northern California doesn't get snow or many other external reminders of the holiday (I don't count rain), it's pleasant to tune in occasionally. However, the small repertoire of songs gets awfully repetitive, which is why I'm always looking for new carols to add to the canon. I think maybe I found one:



Singer-songwriter Tim Minchin is Australian, which is why his happy Christmas memories sound like warm-weather ones. Now go shop. You're already behind everyone else!
.

7 comments:

Walter Underwood said...

You could write your own, like other comic artists. Of course, those other artists were Charles Schultz and Walt Kelly, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Brian Fies said...

Now that's an idea worth giving some serious thought to. If only I had some serious time to give it as well . . .

Angie O'Genesis said...

Have you tried Pandora radio on your phone and or computer? I "created" a Christmas music channel and like the variety
Uses lots of data on phone but my plan is unlimited

Jim O'Kane said...

I'm sorry, but there's only one new(er) Christmas standard on my mp3 player - - and that, of course, is Jonathan Coulton's "Chiron Beta Prime" Christmas carol.


Mmm - ammonia-scented snow...

Rick O'Shay said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0WVfj76bo

Not usually a fan, but "Animals of YouTube Singing Deck the Halls" gave me a good chuckle!

Brian Fies said...

I knew if I dangled a bit of bait, I'd get some good suggestions! Thanks, guys!

Angie, I have played with Pandora but don't really have occasions to use it. I find music too distracting when I work, so I pretty much only listen to the radio in the car.

Sherwood Harrington said...

Wait... they put radios in cars now?

I really do have to trade in my wheels more frequently.