Friday, March 9, 2012

Cartoonist in Residence or Repose

I haven't yet mentioned here that I'll be March's Cartoonist in Residence at the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center in Santa Rosa, Calif. tomorrow (Saturday) from 1 to 3 p.m. Every month the museum invites a cartoonist to spend an afternoon in the upstairs Education Room drawing and chatting for anyone who wanders by. If nobody shows up I'll take a quiet nap. Try not to startle me.

This opportunity came up at the last minute, after I guess the previously scheduled cartoonist cancelled. I love the museum and its staff, and in fact just a few weeks ago told Education Director Jessica I'd do anything for them anytime, so she called my bluff. Well played, Jessica.

I was the Cartoonist in Residence a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. My plan is to bring some original artwork from my books, maybe a few props, and sit there and draw. I'll also have a little PowerPoint slide show looping on the room's TV and a few books to sell. I don't have a talk or lecture planned--that's not the point, although some visitors seemed to expect it last time. They came in, sat down, and stared at me. Waiting. After a few uncomfortable minutes I said, "I'm happy to talk about what I'm doing or answer any questions but, uh, what you're seeing is pretty much it." Their puzzlement was very funny. Dance, monkey, dance!

A few pictures from my last gig (note to self: wear a different shirt):





The last photo is me talking with Jeannie Schulz. I'm her not-so-secret admirer. The restraining order says "stalker," but that's just legal mumbo-jumbo.

The Schulz Museum is worth a visit whether I'm there or not. If you're in the area, check it out!
.

No comments: