Saturday, October 3, 2009

If "Waking Up In Toledo" Isn't a Song Title, It Should Be

Waking up in Toledo, Ohio and getting ready to catch a flight home in a few hours. That'll take the rest of the day.

I think my talk at the Toledo Museum of Art went well. I'd guess about 100 people showed up. I'm always my worst critic, and went to sleep last night thinking of all the things I wish I'd said, or said differently, but the very nice people who paid to bring me out here seemed to think they got their money's worth. The LitGraphic exhibition is wonderfully staged. I couldn't have been treated more graciously, I happily spent a few hours yesterday walking Toledo with a local and think it's a fine city, and the museum itself is a very impressive gem.

More later, with a few photos.

Thanks to the friends and strangers who left kind comments on my previous post. I was feeling more reflective than melancholy when I wrote it, and I'm afraid it came off sadder than I intended. I think of Mom often, some days more than others, and Oct. 1 will always be one of the "more" days. But most of my memories are happy ones, and when I think of her, I usually smile.
.

2 comments:

ronnie said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that every time I hear "Toledo, Ohio" the first thing that pops into my mind is Cpl. Maxwell Klinger from M*A*S*H. Maybe I shouldn't be embarrassed - Klinger was a constant booster of Toledo, which he felt was often unfairly dismissed, and I've read that the actor who portrayed him, Jamie Farr, was, like Klinger, a proud Lebanese-American proudly hailing from that fine American city.

I'm delighted that LitGraphic was fun and well-organized. I love that Mom's story keeps being recognized, and introduced to new audiences.

And for what it's worth, I don't think your October 1 post came off as melancholy. I think it struck exactly the right reflective note, and the responses were reflective as well.

And we didn't have a party in your blog while you were out of town this time. I believe that means "we owe you one"...

Brian Fies said...

I was thinking of Klinger the entire time.

Thanks for keeping your muddy boots off the sofa while I was away.