Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Favorite Photo Ever (Top Three at Least)

I could think of no better way to begin 2012 than embarrassing my children.

I was in my wife Karen's office recently when I saw one of my three favorite family photos of all time stuck on the side of her file cabinet and had to grab, scan and post it. I love everything about this photo, which makes me very happy everytime I see it.

In 1996, my 8-year-old twin daughters were in a Brownie Girl Scout troop led by Karen. The girls in the troop ended their school year and began summer vacation with a party that included an apple-bobbing tub. My daughter Robin took her turn, captured her apple, then stepped aside for her sister Laura, and . . .


What's the point of having a twin sister if she won't help keep your ponytail dry?

Is that a Norman Rockwell painting or what?

Honestly, though I'm ashamed to admit it, I wasn't sure which girl was which in this photo. I asked the girls themselves (while asking their permission to post it) and they replied, "How should we know?" Karen IDed them as above. Personally, I would've deduced that the hair-holder was Laura based on the left-handed apple-eating (Laura is left-handed, Robin right-handed). But Karen says she's 99% certain, and when in doubt you've gotta trust Mom.

These are problems most people don't have when looking through family photo albums.

In any event, my girls still have each other's backs 15 years later, which is one of the things about this picture that makes me happiest. Happy New Year, chiquitas.


4 comments:

Jim O'Kane said...

Please tell me they know how to sing "Let's Get Together, Yeah Yeah Yeah" like Hayley Mills with a guitar - because what's the point of growing up twins in California otherwise?

Brian Fies said...

Alas, no. But then, they don't have Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara as parents, either, so we'll call it even.

ronnie said...

I just think this is just about the most perfect photo of sisters ever. A little Rockwell painting is the exactly right description - I can even picture it painted in his style.

Thanks for sharing, and to your daughters for allowing you to share.

Jachele Leodory said...

They are so cute! At first, I thought the other girl was pulling her twin sister's hair. LOL. The photo is certainly just like Norman Rockwell's paintings. :p It also looks like it's from a classic film or something. Hehe. I wonder if they can still pose just like that now that they are all grown up.