Monday, April 17, 2023

Not Coming Soon

I've been working on my next big comics project for a while, and hit a milestone I wanted to share.

I finished drawing the first half of the story. It's on a single piece of paper, like a scroll. There are narrative reasons for that. Although I've photographed it vertically, it reads horizontally.

When complete, the original artwork will be 14 inches (36 cm) high by 61½ feet (18.7 m) long on two rolls of paper.

My publisher knows about it and has some cool ideas about how to publish it, but hasn't actually read it. Nobody has. My next step will be scanning it, sending it off with some sort of outline and proposal, and seeing what they think. Meanwhile, I'll start drawing the second half.

Yes, there would have been much easier ways to draw it. "Easy" isn't the point of this one.

My answer to probably every other question you might ask is "I don't know."

I have no idea if it's any good, but it's ambitious and challenging and fun, and nobody else could tell this particular story in this way. I think that's the only stuff worth doing.

No comments: