Monday, June 18, 2012

Hey Mister UPS Man

Look and see what came in the big brown truck for me:

Original hardcover on the left, new paperback on the right.
Photo by Karen, who deserves a better-looking husband.

Fresh off the boat from Editor Charlie, the first copy of the paperback Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow! This is my first real look at the silver foil cover, which is very hard to get a feel for on a computer layout, and it is gorgeous. This photo doesn't do it justice, you've gotta see it in person (my suggestion: buy a copy). My compliments again to designer Sara Corbett and Art Director Chad W. Beckerman, who worked with Editor Charlie and me to get this cover just right. I'll always love the original hardcover design but I think we topped it. Also thanks to Charlie and Abrams for releasing the book in paperback at all; they didn't have to. I couldn't be happier with the entire thing.

I don't know exactly when the book will be available in stores. Amazon has a release date of August 1, which is as authoritative as anything.

A couple of fashion notes: you may notice I got new glasses. I was looking to modernize from my traditional wireframes without overshooting all the way to hipster d-bag. Hope I hit it. If not, please don't say anything or you'll hurt my feelings. Second, I'm coincidentally wearing the shirt I drew myself wearing in The Adventures of Old Time-Traveling Brian Part 3. If that doesn't prove these stories are taken directly and faithfully from my actual life, nothing will.


5 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

You know, of course, that you've now blessed all of your readers of a certain age with a Beatles' earworm, don't you? (It took me years to write; won't you take a look?)

Brian Fies said...

Funny, when I read your first sentence I thought, "I didn't know the Beatles covered 'Please Mr. Postman.'" But no, you mean the other earworm.

"If you really like it
you can have the rights,
It could make a million
for you overnight..."

Sounds like all my pitches to Charlie.

Sherwood Harrington said...

Well, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pvt2YK88MI

sligo said...

YES!!!!

Brian Fies said...

Sherwood: why, that's what I meant to say! Just the opposite of what I did: everybody knows The Beatles covered "Please Mr. Postman." Duh.

Sligo, I got so tired of you asking when the paperback was coming out that we did it just to shut you up.