Saturday, January 25, 2014

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

A couple of months ago, in the middle of the night, a wind storm snapped a five-inch-thick limb off a tree in the backyard and plunged it through our redwood deck like a javelin. The sound it made got our attention.


Although I chopped up the limb the next day, it took me until this afternoon to fix the deck (hey, it was cold, we weren't using it). Pretty neat patch, if I say so myself....


I will not be taking any wagers on what Karen said when I stood back and flourished my best "Ta-da!"

Because you know what she said. She said the same thing anyone would have said.

"Looks nice! We should redo the entire deck just like it!"

Yes. If we want to turn a $20 job into a $20,000 job, that's exactly what we should do. I'll get right on that.

2 comments:

Jim O'Kane said...

A good power washer rental will burnish that deck into a California dreamland. Did it to my old deck in Pennsylvania and I *almost* didn't want to move.

Brian Fies said...

I have neighbors with the right equipment. All I lack is the will. Although the deck's 25 years old I think it's fundamentally sound; the previous owner built it like a battleship. One of these days...one of these days...