Monday, November 27, 2023

What the Dickens?

My girls and I went to the Dickens Christmas Fair on Sunday. Think of it as a Renaissance Faire set a few hundred years later and indoors, at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The theme is Dickens's "Christmas Carol" but if you hit anywhere within the early to late Victorian era you wouldn't go wrong. Lots of vendors, entertainers, and costumed cast. For taking place inside a large warehouse, it's surprisingly immersive. 

One of our favorite things to do there is a life-drawing salon--about 45 minutes of drawing three models posed to duplicate classic works of art. Just 50 people sitting in a room drawing, nothing more frantic or high-tech than that, but it's a fine time. 

I try not to post photos of my daughters without their OK, but they don't mind if I make myself look ridiculous. So here I am piloting a time machine (in my opinion, THE BEST time machine!). 


My girls pointed out that, given the time period, someone walking around in full cowboy regalia would be totally appropriate. We didn't see any cowboys. Maybe I'll go as a cowboy next year.

3 comments:

James Rankin said...

Hwy - the design the four friends from "The Big Bang Theory" got themselves; can't go wrong with that.

James Rankin said...

Sorry about the typo.

Brian Fies said...

That was a good episode. Agreed: you can't go wrong with that time machine! Thanks for the comment, don't sweat the typo.