Friday, August 2, 2024

Comic-Con Commission Sketch

I'm working on the commissions I got through the Cartoon Art Museum's "Sketch-a-Thon at Home" Comic-Con fundraiser. This request was for the Mechanical Monster, one of the robots Superman fought in his 1941 cartoon and also the star of my most recent graphic novel. This requester paid a premium price, which implies some extra characters and color, so I hope they don't mind that I threw in Superman. 

This is my interpretation of how Superman looked in those Fleischer cartoons, so his costume is a little different. His build is stocky, like a circus strong man, more Charles Atlas than Schwarzenegger, so I didn't over-define his muscles. 

Ink and color pencil on cardstock. I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I spend on these; let's just say that CAM is getting a substantial donation of my time as well as the commissioner's cash.

No comments: