Tuesday, September 22, 2026

250 Words on Work Families


[I try to start my day writing 250 words on anything. I’ll post one every Tuesday until I run out of good ones.]

I once worked with a woman who poured her heart into her job and believed our boss's assurances that the company was one big happy family—until she got sacked without warning and escorted out by HR. The shock of losing her job was much less traumatic than being cast out by her "family," which she grieved for a long time.

It was a bracing lesson for me. The people who hire you may be good and kind, and coworkers may become close friends, but a company is not your family. Businesses always take care of themselves first. You are expendable. You owe your employer a full day's work for a fair day's pay; any more may be appreciated and rewarded, but could also be taken advantage of.

I think my perspective is clear-eyed and practical rather than cynical, but I’ve seen it taken too far. I once supervised a person who left punctually at 5 p.m., no matter what he was in the middle of, because that’s when his commitment to the company ended. As a result, the rest of us would have to stay overtime to complete his work. He was not well-liked, nor was he ever promoted. Being a team player often enhances your value and reputation. 

Still, my advice is to seek your deepest meaning, identity, and fulfillment outside of work. True loyalty is a two-way street and, unless you’re self-employed, it’s a mistake to be more dedicated to your bosses than they are to you. 

* * * 

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE! I am sharing these little "250 Words On" essays via Substack, which will email a new one to your In Box every Tuesday morning. Just follow this link and enter your email address. It's free, and I promise to never use your address for evil purposes.



No comments: