Monday, September 28, 2026

Space Stein!


Karen and I hit a big antiques fair today, where I saw something so cheesy, so tacky, so over the top that I burst out laughing. I put it down and walked away. Five minutes later, I was still laughing and so decided that it had to come home with me. No regrets. 

Please admire this stirring tribute to space exploration captured in the form of a beer stein. I don't know where to put it or what to do with it, except I definitely intend to drink beer from it once in a while. In fact, I very much look forward to having company over and asking them if they want a beer, which I will pour into regular glasses for them before pulling out my space stein and pouring a cold one for myself. 

A few rare objects pass through "awful" before circling all the way back around to "wonderful." Beauty is where you find it.


What really sold me on buying the stein was the inside of its lid, which has a little diagram of our solar system for no reason whatsoever. Like, “As long as you’re drinking, you might as well learn something.” It's completely unnecessary, which is what makes it perfect.


No comments: