Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Intellectual Life #24

A Peek into the Intimate Intellectual Life of a Long-Married Couple, Part 24:

(Karen and I are waiting in Terminal 2 of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to board an airplane for a 6-hour flight home.) 

Brian: Y'know, whenever I'm about to end a trip like this, I often think, "What if I just didn't get on the plane?"

Karen: What would you do?

Brian: I have no idea! That's the point! What would I do?

Karen: Don't you want to go home?

Brian: Of course! But haven't you wondered? I'd have to figure out how to eat and sleep and get a job . . .

Karen: No. I just want to go home.

Brian: I could be the oldest Congressional intern! Or mow the grass on the National Mall!

Karen: I don't get why you don't want to go home.

Brian: I do! But it's like when you're standing on the edge of a cliff and wonder what it would be like to just jump off.

Karen: I never, ever wonder that.

Brian: Really? I mean, I'd never want to actually DO it, but--

Karen: I would never, ever even think of that.

Brian: Huh!

(Karen side-eyes me in wary silence until our boarding group is called, perhaps wondering if an annulment is still possible.)

This has been a peek into the intimate intellectual life of a long-married couple.

These birds were inside the terminal and appeared to live on crumbs dropped by travelers. I can't imagine how they'd ever get out. Maybe they don't need to; it's a pretty cushy life!

No comments: