Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Two's Company, Seventeen's a Crowd

I just got some exciting new information about the Sketch-A-Thon I'll be doing on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the Charles M. Schulz Museum & Research Center in honor of the 60th anniversary of "Peanuts." [NOTE: this post originally read "next Saturday," which was wrong. The event is Sept. 11, not Sept. 4. Sorry for any confusion.]

Not only has the roster of cartoonists gathering to draw in the museum's light and spacious Great Hall grown to 17 (!), but we'll be headlined by Dan Piraro, creator of the comic strip "Bizarro" and winner of this year's National Cartoonist Society Reuben Award for Best Cartoonist! The Sketch-A-Thon will take place from 1 to 3 p.m., after which Dan will speak in the museum's small theater at 3:30.

I've met Dan a couple of times and also seen him speak. He's an entertaining, engaging guy--well worth the nominal price of admission on his own. In addition to Dan, artists scheduled to appear are Brent Anderson, Michael Capozzola, Rhoda Draws, Alexis Fajardo, Shaenon Garrity, Mike Gray, Debbie Huey, Greg Knight, Jonathan Lemon, Paul Madonna, Brian Narelle, Thien Pham, Lark Pien, and Frank Roberson. And me. I must be missing one because that doesn't add up to 17. But it's a bunch. Honestly, I don't know who all those people are or what they do, but I'm looking forward to finding out. In addition to sitting at tables doing whatever the heck we want, we're all being asked to draw a picture in honor of Peanuts' 60th. I've got something in mind.

Come by and keep me company. Or use me to get to Dan, I don't mind.

Proof that Dan Piraro and I have been in the same place at the same time, neither of us evidently very happy about it.

2 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

The 17th wouldn't be your neighbor, would it?

I'm looking for a pie slice: in that photo, Dan Piraro looks like he was drawn by Dan Piraro.

Sounds like fun!

ronnie said...

You look happy. He looks fraught by skepticism. I can only imagine the conversation that preceded this photo.